Thursday, June 9, 2011

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DADDY!

Today is my Dad's 80th birthday! 

We are planning a party this coming Saturday for him at his home.  This is a picture of him when he was in the Marines.

He was stationed at Camp Penelton (probably spelled wrong - sorry) at Oceanside, California.  He met my mom at a dance and asked her to write to him while is was over in Korea.  She told him yes. When he came back home, he asked her to marry him.  They celebrated their 56th wedding anniversay this past February. This is a picture of the two of them at Green Valley Lake up by Big Bear in California.

I have very happy memories of going up to the lake when we lived in California.  We had a little cabin up there and it was so beautiful and quite up there. I think the little cabin is still there. Maybe someday I will get to go visit again.

For Dad's birthday, I wanted to make something special so I got this idea on Splitcoast Stampers.


This card uses the new SU! The Open Sea stamp set. I used crumb cake, cherry cobbler, not quite navey & chocolate chip cardstock. A cute antique brad (SU!) and some antique eyelets.
I ran the crumb cake through the square lattice embossing folder.  Look what happens when you pull the brad:

The two sides open!!  Isn't that fun?! I added crystal effects to the compass emblem in the corner, the camera probably doesn't pick it up but it shines :)

I think Dad will like his card!  I thought I would stamp "Happy Birthday" and have my family sign it. I really like how it turned out.

Hope you have had a good week and have a great weekend!

Gail S.

3 comments:

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

great card! I saw in the paper you were having a celebration for him.

Unknown said...

Amazing card! He will love it! Thanks for sharing your interesting story!

Shari Winterstein said...

Love the card but especially the pictures of you Day. Please say thank you to him for fighting so my husband and I can live in a free country.