Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Apple Bread

I live in a very small town (pop. 500 or so) and at our local post office people who have an excess of veggies and fruit leave it in boxes inside the post office for others to enjoy.  The other day I got to feast on yellow squash and zuchinni and a day or two before that I had cucumbers to take home! Well, on Friday, someone had dropped off a large box full of apples.


I grabbed some thinking I would make an apple crisp over the weekend but I found this recipe on my friend, Debbie Fisher's blog and decided to try it!

Apple Bread

2 c. sugar
1 c. oil
2 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs
3 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 c. chopped apples
1 c. chopped nuts

Mix oil, sugar, & vanilla, add eggs one at a time mixing well after each. Sift dry ingredients. Add to oil/sugar/egg mixture. Fold in apples & nuts. Batter will be very thick.

Pour into 2 greased loaf pans.

Bake @ 325° for 60-75 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Then remove from pan.


I mixed the ingredients up in my pretty red country bowl:



And it turned out yummy!!  I shared some of the bread at work, we ate some at home and the other loaf I froze to enjoy later.

I hope you try this recipe.

Gail S.

No comments: